Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Folk Lives Cut Short

I recently purchased Steve Goodman’s No Big Surprise: Anthology album. While listening to it, I was thinking about how much I would have like to have seen him in concert. While on the topic, several other folk musicians came to mind. These musicians are among the music I listen to on a regular basis. I am sure there are (unfortunately) many more names one could add to the list. Additions via comments are more than welcome. (As an aside, the Steve Goodman album referenced above is excellent!)

My list in no particular order:

Phil Ochs (suicide) - Phil Ochs was a singer/songwriter during the 1960's (variously categorized as ``topical'', ``protest'' and ``folk''). He was a contemporary (and friend) of Bob Dylan. (who said: ``I just can't keep up with Phil. And he's getting better and better and better.'') He was a prolific writer of protest songs such as Draft Dodger Rag, I Ain't Marchin' Anymore and Outside Of A Small Circle Of Friends. His output diminished at the end of the 60's after putting out 7 albums. He wrote little in the 70's and, sadly, took his own life in 1976.
www.sonnyochs.com/philobio.html

Dave Carter (heart attack) - Carter's songs were often noted for their poetic imagery, spirituality and storytelling while retaining connection to the country music of his southern American upbringing. Some of my favorites include Gentle Arms of Eden, Crocodile Man and The Tanglewood Tree. He was only 49 years old at the time of his death. His longtime companion Tracy Grammer still performs, often with Jim Henry and is well worth seeing. I had the fortunate opportunity to see Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer several times before his death.
http://www.daveandtracy.com/

Eva Cassidy (melanoma cancer) – Although a relative unknown during her lifetime, she possessed one of the most beautiful voices I’ve ever heard. She was not a song writer but an interpreter of songs. Her renditions of Over the Rainbow and Fields of Gold are among my favorites. She was 33 at the time of her death.
http://bit.ly/1fmKSm

Nick Drake (suicide) - Little more than ignored in his own time, Drake's brooding, introspective music eventually caught on years after his accidental death in 1974. He was only 26 years old. His song Pink Moon used in a Volkswagon commercial several years ago create a renewed interest in his music. He was an amazing song writer. My favorites include Voice from the Mountain, Time has Told Me and of course, Pink Moon.
http://www.nickdrake.com/

Stan Rogers (airplane crash) - for his untimely death in an airplane fire in 1983, by now Rogers almost certainly would have reached the highest levels of fame within folk circles. My favorites include Northwest Passage, Turnaround and From Fresh Water. He too was only 33 at the time of his death. His brother Garnett Rogers, also performs and is fabulous.
http://www.stanrogers.net/

Sandy Denny (brain hemorage) - Folk/folk-rock lost its leading female singer-songwriter prematurely when Denny died in an accident at the age of 31. Even after all these years, I can still listen to Who Knows Where the Time Goes over and over and over again. She is probably best known for her work as part of Fairport Convention. I was living in London when I first learned about this group. To me, she was the sound of Fairport Convention.
http://www.sandydenny.co.uk/

Townes Van Zandt (alcohol abuse) - Perhaps more a country artist than a folkie, the late Townes Van Zandt ranked as one of our finest singer-songwriters. He was 52 at the time of his death making him a relatively old timer on this list. However his addition struggles were with him most of his life. It's impossible to pick a top 3, but my favorites include Loretta, Nothin' and my all time favorite Pancho and Lefty.
http://www.townesvanzandt.com/

Tim Hardin (suicide) - A great songwriter and emotional singer, Hardin was another of the stable of 60s/70s folkies who couldn't quite gather the will to survive that era. He took his life at age 39. The recordings I own of his are of relatively low quality, but I am particularly fond of the songs Lady Came from Baltimore, I Can't Slow Down and the folk classic, If I Were a Carpenter.
www.zipcon.net/~highroad/hardinbi.htm

Steve Goodman (leukemia) - Singer-songwriter Goodman died young (from leukemia), but left us with 'The City of New Orleans' (my all time favorite), My Old Man and the Ballad of Carl Martin among many other treasures. He was only 36 at the time of his death.
http://www.stevegoodman.net/

Kate Wolf (leukemia) – A singer-songwriter of rare compassion whose early death, also from leukemia, robbed both the folk and women's music communities of a top talent. There are so many favorites here, even though the recordings I own are low quality. But I am particularly fond of Fields of Gold, Across the Great Divide and Cornflower Blue. She was only 44 when she passed away.
http://www.katewolf.com/

Tim Buckley (drug overdose/suicide) - The early death of Tim Buckley (28) was perhaps presaged in the surreal lyrics to his most celebrated song, Morning Glory. Song to the Siren and When Cripple Cry are also on my list of top songs. His son, Jeff Buckley performs regularly.
http://www.timbuckley.net/

Harry Chapin (automobile accident) - Singer-songwriter Chapin was headed for super-stardom when an automobile accident cut him down at the age of 38. Perhaps best known for his song Taxi, You are the Only Song and Cats in the Cradle at also excellent. Brothers Tom and Steve are also musicians. He is one of the few on this list that I did have the chance to see only a few months before his death.
http://www.harrychapin.com/

No comments: