Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Eilen Jewell - Sea of Tears

A couple of weeks ago I purchased Eilen Jewell's latest release, Sea of Tears. I've listened to this album at least 2 dozen times now, so I figured it was time to share my thoughts with you.

Let me start by saying it's a winner! It was easy to listen to the first time, and 25 listens later, it's just as enjoyable. For those of you who are already familiar with her music, this will be very familiar. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Eilen, she has a very relaxed style and sound reminding me of some 50's, not your typical singer/song writer style.

Her first song on the album, Rain Roll In, talks about life moving on in a very matter of fact way. I like the idea that this isn't depressing or anxious. It's just a nice 'here and now' perspective. Don't get me wrong, she has her share of those songs here too.

Most of the songs on the album are hers. However she does a great cover of a Johny Kidd song, Shakin' All Over. There are two other covers here, I'm Gonna Dress in Black by M. Gillen, and The Darkets Day by Loretta Lynn are both excellent versions of these songs.

Fading Memory takes me back to high school. It sounds like the music they played at the high school dances. (Not that the guys danced much, but we were there for sure.) I find myself replaying this song over and over.

Jason Beek, Jerry Miller and John Sciascia do a nice job complimenting Eilen's voice on the album. I am unfamiliar with all three, but as often happens, I suspect I will start to see their names how up in other places too.

Go to Eilen's website and give a song or two a listen. If you like it, you will probably like the whole album.

3 comments:

Scott said...

The only disappointment here is that she does not include the lyrics. They are available on her website. I guess I'm a big old fashion in that I like to flip through the lyrics while listening to the music.

James Christensen said...

I'm lucky enough to know Eilen from her days playing the Tir na nOg every Saturday afternoon. I get great pleasure hearing her on the radio and seeing her touring schedule take her to Europe and all over the US. I don't have Sea of Tears yet, but I'll be sure to pick it up the next time I see her in Somerville.

Scott said...

@James - I bought her first CD based on your recommendation, site unseen. I'm glad I did! Her previous album, Letters from Sinners and Strangers, which was also an excellent album!

Thanks for the lead.

Scott