Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Carrie Newcomer - The Geography of Light

About 6 weeks ago I attended a Carrie Newcomer concert in Natick at the Natick Center for the Arts (TCAN). I bought Carrie’s latest CD, The Geography of Light. Although this is her latest, and it is completely new to me, the CD has been available since 2008. I should also point out this is my first Carrie Newcomer album. All I can say to that is, it’s about time!

Beautiful lyrics and a skilled guitarist, Carrie shares personal views, self-perceptions and a lot of herself on this album. As a fellow Hoosier and a graduate of Indiana University, Bloomington, I felt like I knew her as soon as she walked on stage. No matter the topic, she is able to tell a very detailed story in a very thoughtful and authentic fashion. The images are as clear to me as if I’ve seen them myself firsthand.

I find the entire album easy to listen to over and over again. I usually find humorous songs have a very short shelf life. However even her song Don’t Push Send is easy to listen to over and over. Maybe it’s because it’s a little close to home.

One Woman and a Shovel has a nice country feel to it while Biscuits and Butter reminds me of Bobbie Jo. (Remember that one?) Her style comes through loud and clear throughout the album.

Her lovely voice, especially on There is a Tree combined with excellent horn work on A Map of Shadows, gorgeous piano work on Lazarus. There are many aspects to this album that make it worth owning.

If you are already a fan of Carrie Newcomer, you will surely enjoy The Geography of Light. If you haven’t been exposed to her music already, you will find the songs on this album typical of her capabilities. To hear some of her songs first hand, look at sheet music and lyrics, and of course purchase Carrie’s CDs, check out her website at www.carrienewcomer.com. It’s well worth the visit.

Scott

Technorati Profile

No comments: