Sunday, April 26, 2009

Folk Music on the Radio

I occassionally travel around the country on business and pleasure. In years past, I traveled about 90% of my time. Very rarely was I able to find folk music stations around the country. Certainly there were a few. KUT in Austin stands out to me, but there are plenty of others. What I've found however is that folk music, singer/songwriter music, contemporary folk music is only a small part of what these stations cover.

I am very fortunate to live in the Boston area where I have not only one full time folk radion station in WUMB, but I also have other stations that include folk as part of their lineup. The River, 99.5 and WGBH 89.7 are only two stations that play folk music at least part of the time. Full disclosure here, I love WUMB. I'm sure that at least 95% of my radio listening is WUMB.

As it turns out, I have about two hours of commuting every day. Most days I'm listening to WUMB. Unfortunately for me, I do not pick up the signal from my home, but this is a great time to listen to CDs. You do not need to live in the Boston area to take advantage of WUMB. They have live streaming 7x24. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend you check them out. If you don't hear what you like, wait until the next song. You probably will!

Scott

No comments: